Apr 29, 2011

Diamonds in the Sky

Twinkle, twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so bright, like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are!

Every American child knows this bedtime rhyme. I have always loved the simple poetry and unpretentious descriptions of such a magnificent part of God’s creation. But I also felt the wording was a little grandiose. After all, stars don't really twinkle, and they aren't that bright (except for in cartoons like Disney's Pinocchio). And the only resemblance to a diamond was in how they lay so innocently against the black silk of the night sky.

My time in Africa has changed my view of this childhood verse completely. Far away from city lights, removed from the polluted haze that hangs over the horizon, I have truly seen the night sky as if for the first time. My friends, if you could see what I have seen in the nighttime sky for the past few months, your souls would be captivated and your breath taken away by the true magnificence of God’s creation. There is no smoggy veil between me and the stars burning billions of miles away; I can see them more clearly than I can see this screen in front of me. I cannot convey to you the depth of the awesome wonder that falls upon me as I gaze into the heavens each night, but I will try.

Stars do twinkle! I do not mean their brightness fades in and out as clouds or dust pass over them, but they flicker like the bright flame of a candle. And they are bright, much brighter than we can ever see in the States. They blaze brilliantly across the sky, millions of tiny moons burning brightly in the black material of the sky.

And oh! the moon! Her glory is more magnificent than can ever be imagined. My eyes water as I gaze upon her brightness. I cannot make out her features for the brightness of her radiance is more than I can gaze at for any length of time.

I thought I understood the second line in the poem comparing stars to diamonds. They are sort of round like some diamonds, and their color somewhat resembles that of diamonds. But gazing into the African sky with the night fully enveloping me like a cloak, I can truly grasp this illustration. Imagine, in your mind’s eye, a diamond. Do not place it in the dark against a black cloth. Instead, place it in the brilliant sunlight. What does it do? It sparkles and casts brilliant prisms around it. Not only do you see its clearness, but you see many tiny jewels of ruby, jade, amber, and sapphire sparkling across its surface. This is how stars truly appear in the night sky. There are millions and billions of miniature diamonds twinkling across the night sky.

I am brought to my knees as I consider the One who created the heavens I gaze into each night. Who but God could have created such beauty? Words fail me as I attempt to describe my awe for my God who created such wonder and glory. I am reminded that “all the heavens declare the glory of God”- my friends, what I am seeing in the night sky is a piece of God’s glory- and “since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen” (Psalm 19:1, Romans 1:20).

No comments:

Post a Comment