Feb 8, 2011

My First Week at the Chimala Mission in Tanzania

I have always been drawn to Africa as a mission field. This past year I was given the opportunity to visit the Chimala Mission just outside of Tanzania, East Africa. Bear Valley Bible Institute of Denver was in the midst of negotiating with the New York Avenue church of Christ (the overseeing congregation of the Mission) about taking over the preaching school aspect of the Chimala Mission. The merger would take place in January 2011.

At the time of my visit I was volunteering in the hospital delivering babies. I stayed with Mary and Howell Ferguson, who work as the Stateside Coordinator for the BVBID extension schools in Chimala and the Ukraine. Howell was busy arranging the merger of the Chimala Bible College (Bear Valley’s extension school) and the Chimala School of Preaching (the original preaching school at the Mission). During his discussions, he brought up the need for a new secretary and a librarian. I turned around and said, “Well, I could do that!”

I moved to the Chimala Mission Saturday, January 15th to contribute to the work of the new Chimala Bible Institute. The school began its first day on January 17th. What a wonderful day that was! The faculty and students are fully excited about the improvements in both the academics and the welfare of the students that will be coming. It was also wonderful to see the two different schools, now the English and Swahili Departments, worshipping together in the first ever combined chapel.

At the end of my first week, however, I finally realized just how much responsibility I have taken on. I am not only the Librarian and Administrative Assistant to Garry Hill, but I have also been designated the Dean of Women. I will furthermore be teaching a Library Research class and tutoring some of the students in English. On top of all that, I am determined to finish my Bachelors in Biblical Studies this November. I think I can do it. Not only that, but I am determined to do it. I know God will give me the strength to help these 25 men and two women graduate so they can return to their hometowns and spread the gospel throughout the land.

No comments:

Post a Comment