Feb 28, 2011

A Week in My Life

It is amazing how much my life has changed. In the States, my life consisted of work, sleep, and church on Sundays. I always worked during the weekly church meeting or devotionals and literally gathered with the saints for a maximum of 3 hours a week. Of course, I continued my own personal studies throughout the week, but I really missed Wednesday night services and Tuesday night Bible studies at the Thompson’s or the Martin’s homes. Evangelism was something I worked into my routine- showing my Christian light at work or giving an encouraging word to a resident or coworker.

My life has drastically changed since then. Now my entire life, focus, and job is about God. Working on a mission has been every bit as liberating as I imagined it would.

Three times a week, I go to a different village to teach children about the Bible. I have never taught a children’s class in my life, and I enjoy it immensely. It is amazing how little focus the church here gives to children. After all, they are the future of God’s church. My goal is to eventually teach all the children in every village I visit the entire Bible. I’m having a lot of fun creating my lesson plans and trying to find inexpensive activities for the children to do. One Sunday, I was able to bring coloring sheets for a class of 33 children. They shared the crayons and had a wonderful time coloring- an activity many of them had probably never done.

During the week, my days are spent working at CBI (Chimala Bible Institute). At 7:30 every morning, every student and faculty member meets for chapel (actually everyone at the mission meets at their respective places of work for a chapel service). I thoroughly enjoy starting off every morning singing praises and praying to my Creator and listening to one of the students or teachers give a lesson.

After chapel, I work around the school. Sometimes I perform administrative tasks like creating schedules or typing letters for Garry. Sometimes I work on organizing the library. One of my tasks has also been to tutor the students in library research. Every Wednesday morning (Wednesday being Library Day), I meet with the English students and teach them about grammar, writing skills, and research. I enjoy passing on what I’ve learned from my past English teachers to the students.

When I’m not teaching children or working at CBI, I work in my home to prepare lessons, do my own personal devotions, or just relax by crocheting or playing on my computer (I will be forever grateful to my Mom for giving me this laptop!). I also enjoy walking around the mission, taking pictures, and observing God’s wonderful creation around me.

I am glad I have this opportunity to serve God here in Chimala. I am glad my life revolves around working for God’s kingdom. I hope and pray my work may be lifted up as a pleasing aroma to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment