Mar 13, 2011

Girl on a Mission

"Therefore, gird your minds for actions, stay sober in spirit and fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Christ Jesus." I Peter 1:13

During the time this letter was written, there were a lot of things that distracted Christians from serving God. Idolatry, worldly lusts, and persecution often caused believers to turn away from and deny Jesus. Peter writes his first epistle to those Christians scattered throughout the world to encourage them to stay strong in the faith, because Satan would like nothing more than to distract them from the Christian's final goal of salvation.

This letter has become very dear to me. I have become distracted from the work at hand. I have allowed personal emotions and physical ailments come between me and my end goal of salvation in Christ. It isn't that I don't appreciate Christ's sacrifice or that I no longer want to go to heaven. But I have allowed earthly, temporal things to come between me and my heavenly goal.

No more. As Peter states in chapter 1 verse 13, I will gird my mind for action. I will constantly study God's word so I may be ready for any attack. Nobody will catch me without my sword sharpened and ready for battle!

I will also stay sober in spirit. I will not allow fleeting things or giddy emotions cloud my judgment and distract me from the purpose at hand. I must remember that my "Adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour" (5:8). I cannot let my guard slip, even for a second, because Satan is waiting for any opportunity to destroy me.

I will also fix my hope completely on the grace brought to me by the revelation of Jesus Christ. I will allow my thoughts to dwell on the gospel and what that means for me and my fellow man. I will allow my heart to dwell on Christ's revelation throughout the New Testament. By fixing my hope completely on Christ, nothing else will come before my sight or cloud my judgment. I will allow myself to become saturated with God's word.

In short, I will be a girl on a mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment